Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I find the Town’s fees?

The Town's fee schedule is adopted annually with the budget ordinance and may be updated by Town Council anytime throughout the year. You can view the Town's Fee Schedule here.

How do I pay my water and sewer bill or property taxes?

You can pay your water and sewer and property tax bills online, via direct debit, by mail, using our drop-box or in person at Town Hall. For more information, please click on the following button:

Learn more about paying bills

How can I appeal my property tax bill?

Although residents must pay their Town and Buncombe County taxes to the Weaverville Tax Collector Debbie Bruce, the Town does not assess your property tax value(s). Any and all appeals or questions about your tax assessments must be presented to the Buncombe County Tax Department. You may contact them online here or call them at (828) 250-4910.

How do I contact Town Hall?

You may call Town Hall at (828) 645-7116 or visit at 30 South Main Street in Weaverville. The street-level floor of Town Hall houses the Town Manager's officer and Administration, which includes Finance, Tax Collections, Water & Sewer Collections, Planning and Legal Services. The lower level of the building houses the Weaverville Police Department.

How do I apply for a job?

As a matter of policy, the Town of Weaverville maintains a systematic, consistent recruitment program, while promoting equal employment opportunities and identifying and attracting the most qualified applicants for employment. The Town of Weaverville is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions on the basis of merit.  

View Employment Opportunities

Fire Department

Where is the nearest fire station?

The Weaverville Fire Station, which provides primary fire services to Town residents and businesses, as well as the North Buncombe County District. It is located at 3 Monticello Road in Weaverville. The phone number is (828) 645-3500. Please call 911 if you have an emergency. The Reems Creek Fire Department provides assistance to the Weaverville Fire Department. Their address is 730 Reems Creek Rd, Weaverville, NC 28787.

How do I obtain a copy of a fire report?

An official fire report can be obtained by contacting the Weaverville Fire Department at (828) 645-3500. It usually takes at least twenty-four (24) hours for the fire report to become available. Once notified that the report is available, you can retrieve it at: Weaverville Fire Department 3 Monticello Road Weaverville, NC 28787  

What do I do when I see an emergency vehicle approaching when I am driving?

Motorists should pull their vehicles safely to the right when an emergency vehicle is approaching. It is not recommended to stop in the middle of the road or proceed through an intersection against the signals. Remember to safely pull to the right.

Does the Weaverville Fire Department refill fire extinguishers?

Unfortunately, the Weaverville Fire Department does not refill fire extinguishers. It is recommended that you contact a commercial fire extinguisher company for recharging.  A listing of commercial fire extinguisher companies can be found in the local phone directory under fire extinguishers/equipment.  Many household fire extinguishers cannot be recharged and must be discarded after use. An annual inspection of the expiration date is encouraged to ensure that the manufacturer date has not expired.

Do buildings within the Town of Weaverville require any approval from the Fire Department?

The Weaverville Fire Department has a full time Fire Marshal with duties including inspection of buildings during the site plan phase, the building phase, and the maintenance of the building throughout its life.  Fire inspections are carried out on an ongoing basis with special attention paid to new buildings.

Why do fire trucks respond to emergency medical calls?

Our firefighters are also trained as EMT's. We often arrive prior to the ambulance and begin life saving techniques. The firefighters will arrive and begin treatment immediately, often resulting in a better outcome for the patient. In a more complicated medical emergency, the Fire Department personnel will be needed to assist the two paramedics on the ambulance. Our Fire Department is committed to providing the highest level of care possible and this means getting the emergency responders on scene as quickly as possible.

Can I park in the fire lane if I need to load, unload, run in for a second or sit in the car waiting for someone?

No, the fire lane is a vital part of the entry/exit of a building.  The Fire Marshal or a Police Officer will ask someone to move from the fire lane or may to write a citation and leave it on the vehicle.  The section of code that is being enforced is located in the the North Carolina State Building Code Volume V "Fire Prevention"  states that fire lane is part of the fire appartus access to a building,  in section 503.4 it states "Fire apparatus access roads shall not be obstructed in any manner including parking of vehicles."

Police Department

Does the Weaverville Police Department provide fingerprinting services?

No, you will need to go to the Buncombe County Detention facility for this service.

Can I swim and/or fish in Lake Louise?

Swimming and boating are both prohibited in Lake Louise. Fishing is permitted in Lake Louise as long as you follow all rules and regulations established by the North Carolina Fish and Wildlife Commission.  If you are over age 16 you must also have a fishing permit issued by the Town.  Those under 16 must have a licensed adult with them to fish at Lake Louise. A permit is available at Town Hall between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00 PM.

How do I contact the Police Department?

Please call (828) 645-5700 to contact the Police Department for non-emergency issues. If you have an emergency, please call 911.

How can I find out when my court date is?

Your court date is noted on your citation or you can contact the Buncombe County Clerk of Court at (828) 259-3402.

How do I get a copy of an accident or incident report?

You can normally get a copy of your report within three (3) business days. Certain factors can extend this time period though. It is best to contact the police department to make sure it has been released prior to your arrival. You may pick up your report in person at the Weaverville Police Department Monday thru Friday between the hours of 8:30a – 12 noon  & 1:00pm -5:00pm, or you may send a self-addressed stamped envelope to, Weaverville Police Department Post Office Box 338, Weaverville, NC 28787. The Weaverville Police Department does not fax or e-mail reports.  

Public Works

When are recyclables collected?

Recyclables will be collected every week on your regular scheduled trash day by Curbside Management, Inc. The recycling services are paid for, in part, by a charge on your monthly water bill. If you have questions or concerns with Curbside Management, please call them directly at (828) 252-2532.

Am I required to separate recyclable materials from trash?

Yes. It is unlawful and a violation of North Carolina State Law, the Buncombe County Solid Waste Ordinance, and the Weaverville Code of Ordinances to dispose of recyclable materials in the county landfill.

What is recyclable and what is not?

What is recyclable?
  • Metal cans
  • All plastic bottles, jugs, and containers #1-7 (including yogurt & margarine containers)
  • Glass bottles & jars (green, brown, clear)
  • Corrugated cardboard (please flatten)
  • Newspaper and inserts
  • Mixed paper (brown paper grocery bags, catalogs, cereal boxes, construction paper, paper egg cartons, envelopes, glossy paper, junk mail, magazines, office paper, paper back books, phone books, post-it-notes, soda or beer cartons, toilet & paper towel rolls)
Note:  Please empty and rinse all plastic, metal, and glass containters before recycling. What is NOT recyclable? Plastic:  Plastic lids, straws, single use cups, six-pack rings, to-go containers, plastic eating utensils, pouches, loose plastic caps, plastic wrap, Styrofoam, bubble wrap, grocery bags, tubes (toothpaste), pumps from spray bottles. Metal:  Scrap/mixed metals, ladders, pots, hangers, dirty aluminum foil, aerosol cans. Glass:  Mirrors, windows, glassware, ceramics. Paper:  Small paper pieces, sugar or sweetener packs, shredded paper, greasy pizza boxes, single use cups, napkins, paper towels, receipts. Tanglers:  Cords, hoses, rubber kitchen gloves, wires. Miscellaneous:  Textiles (clothing), food waste, hazardous materials, paint, electronics, medical waste.    

How do I prepare my recyclables for collection?

  1. Remove caps and rinse all containers. You may flatten containers to save space in your blue bags. Flatten or collapse all of your cardboard. Stack your newspaper.
  2. Place recyclables in blue bags, which may be purchased from most grocery stores. Do not place cardboard and newspapers in blue bags. You do not need to separate the other materials placed in your blue Bags. Incorrect or improperly prepared materials will not be collected.
  3. Set your blue bags by the street curb by 8:00am on your collection day or no earlier than the night before your scheduled collection day. A maximum of four (4) bags per household will be collected per week. If you have more, you may wish to wait till the next week or take the material to the recycling center at the Buncombe County landfill.
  4. Place your newspaper and your flattened cardboard on the ground secured beneath your blue bags.

What is the Town’s garbage collection schedule?

The Town of Weaverville collects trash once per week. The Town is divided into three collection areas. Collection begins on Monday and ends on Wednesday. Call the Public Works Department  (828) 645-0606 with your street address to determine your schedule. Please see below for more information regarding the annual holiday garbage collection. New Years Day:  Tuesday, January 1, 2019 route will be collected Thursday, January 3, 2019 Martin Luther King Day:  Monday, January 21, 2019 route will be collected on Thursday, January 24, 2019 Memorial Day:  Monday, May 27, 2019  route will be collected on Thursday, May 30, 2019 Labor Day:  Monday, September 2, 2019 route will be collected on Thursday, September 5, 2019 Veterans Day:  Monday, November 11, 2019 route will be collected on Thursday, November 14, 2019 Christmas – Tuesday, December 25, 2019 and Wednesday, December 26, 2019 route will be collected on Friday, December 27, 2019

How do I report a water problem?

If you are a Weaverville water system customer and you are experiencing water problems (including reporting a smell, taste or similar issue), please contact Kara Shea at Public Works by calling (828) 645-0606. You may also call this number after hours and follow the instructions to page the person on call.  

How should I place my garbage out for collection?

The Town collects garbage at residences once per week. You are limited to 6 bags or 6 cans per week. Bags must not weigh more than 25 pounds each and cans are limited to 32 gallon capacity and 50 pound weight. If you live in an area where animals could get into your trash, bags are prohibited. The cans must have tight fitting lids in order to reduce insect and animal problems. Bags or cans must be placed at curbside by 8:00am on your collection day. Please do not put trash out earlier than the night before collection and remove your trash containers from the curb promptly after collection.

When will my garbage be collected if my regular collection date is a holiday?

In the event that your trash collection day falls on a holiday, trash will be collected on the following Thursday unless Thursday is also a holiday, in which case trash will be collected on the following Friday. Please see the following holiday waste collection schedule: New Years Day:  Monday, January 1, 2018 route will be collected Thrusday, January 4, 2018. Martin Luther King Day:  Monday, January 15, 2018 route will be collected on Thursday, January 18, 2018. Memorial Day:  Monday, May 28, 2018  route will be collected on Thursday, May 31, 2018. Independence Day:  Wednesday, July, 2018 route will be collected on Thursday, July 5, 2018. Labor Day – Monday, September 3, 2018 route will be collected on Thursday, September 6, 2018. Christmas – Monday, December 24, 2018 route will be collected on Thursday, December 27, 2018;  Tuesday, December 25, 2018 route will be collected on Friday, December 28, 2018.

Are garbage collection rules different for businesses?

Like households, businesses are limited to 6 cans or bags of trash per week. If your business generates more than this amount, you must contract with a private hauler for your garbage service.

What if my garbage collection is missed due to ice or snow?

In the event that your trash cannot be collected due to snow or ice, Monday’s and Tuesday’s trash will be collected on the following Thursday (weather permitting) and Wednesday’ trash will be collected on the following Friday (weather permitting). If the weather prohibits collection on Thursday or Friday, trash will be collected on the regular schedule the following week.

I’m disabled and can’t carry my garbage can to the curb? What can I do?

Contact Public Works at (828) 645-0606 or Town Hall at (828) 645-7116. The Town offers trash carry out and carry back service in hardship cases such as when all members of a household are incapacitated due to age, disability, or infirmity. Persons utilizing this service must bag their trash for collection.

How do I dispose of certain items not collected by Public Works?

Junk car or old car parts? If you own the car and would like to have it removed free of charge, call the National Kidney Foundation at 1-888-288-CARS and ask about their car donation program. Old car parts are not collected by the Town. You may also be able to dispose of these through a local scrap or auto salvage dealer. Mattresses, TV sets, and computers: These items must be recycled and cannot be collected with your regular trash. Since the Town cannot put these items in the trash truck, they are not collected by the Town. The Buncombe County Landfill will accept these items from private citizens. Motor oil: The Town will not collect used motor oil. If you change your own oil, you must take the used oil to an approved collection center. Many garages and auto parts stores accept used oil for recycling or you may take the oil to the Buncombe County Landfill. It is ILLEGAL and an environmental hazard to dump used oil into sewers, septic tanks, into drainage systems or on the ground. Just one gallon of used oil can contaminate 1 million gallons of fresh water. Tires and car batteries: The Town will not collect car batteries or tires. Both tires and car batteries can be taken to the Buncombe County Landfill for disposal. Many stores will take your old tires and batteries when you purchase new ones. Check with your store for details. Discarded building materials, lumber, etc.: The Town will collect these materials only if they are contained in standard trash cans or bags subject to the same limitations as regular garbage. Containers are available from most private trash haulers for bulk disposals. Check your phone book for listings. You can also dispose of these materials at the Buncombe County Landfill. Old appliances: When you purchase new appliances, make every effort to have your old ones disposed of by the store where you made the purchase. You can schedule curbside collection of appliances such as washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators, dish washers and hot water heaters by calling the Public Works Department at (828) 645-0606. You will be given a date for the collection. Please do not put appliances out earlier than the night before scheduled collection. This service is available to residences only. Furnaces, boilers and other such machinery will not be collected by the Town. For the safety of small children, please remember to remove appliance doors before placing it outside. Yard Waste: The Town will collect yard waste, provided it is has not been cut by a professional tree or landscape contractor and is not the result of a land clearing operation. Brush and yard waste is collected every other week. Additional collections will be made by Sanitation crews as time allows. Have your yard waste at the curb by 8:00 a.m. on Monday of your collection week. The material will be removed by Friday. You do not need to call for yard waste collection. Grass clippings and shrubbery trimmings smaller than ½ inch diameter are disposed of by composting. These materials must be collected separatelyfrom brush and trash. Place grass clippings and shrubbery trimmings in bags at curbside for collection. Do not mix any type of trash or garbage with yard waste. Please use CLEAR plastic bags so collection crews can differentiate yard waste from garbage. Loose grass clippings and shrubbery trimmings dumped at curbside will not be collected. Brush, tree limbs, and small tree trunks are ground into chips for disposal. Brush and tree limbs for collection by the Town shall be a minimum ½ inch diameter by 3 foot length. Smaller pieces are to be bagged as shrubbery trimmings. The maximum size is 6 inches diameter and 25 pound weight. Cut protruding limbs into individual pieces and place at curbside with the large ends toward the street for chipping. Do not mix trash, debris, leaves, or dirt with your brush because these items will not go through the chipper. The Town does not provide regular collection service for tree trunks and tree stumps weighing more than 50 pounds. You may dispose of these materials at the Buncombe County LandfillLeaves are to be contained in clear bags and placed at curbside for collection in the same manner as grass clippings and shrubbery trimmings. From October 15th through December 15th and from March 1st through May 1st, loose leaves may also be placed at curbside for collection by the Town’s leaf vacuum. They are to be piled separately from tree limbs and brush and are not to be mixed with rocks, dirt, or any type of object that may be harmful to the leaf vacuum machine. Thorny vegetation, if placed at curbside for collection, shall be cut in lengths not exceeding two (2) feet and placed in separate piles from other yard waste. Furniture and other large items: Discarded furniture, carpet, and other large items and household junk are picked up with your trash. Place these at curbside on your regular collection day. Some items are not collected by the Town as noted below. Paint cans: Paint cans will only be collected if the cans are empty or dried out. Mix latex paint with kitty litter or sand and allow it to completely dry. Leave the dry or empty cans at curbside with your trash on your collection day. Oil base paint should be used entirely or held for a household hazardous waste collection. Corrugated cardboard boxes: Disposal of corrugated cardboard in the Buncombe County Landfill is prohibited in accordance with North Carolina State Law. You may place corrugated cardboard at curbside for recycling on your regular scheduled collection day. However, it must be flattened and neatly stacked.

How do I get to the Buncombe County Landfill?

The landfill is located at 85 Panther Branch Road, Alexander, NC.From Main Street go west on Weaver Boulevard to the third traffic light and turn Left on Monticello Road. Follow Monticello Road to its end at Highway 251. Turn right on 251 and go approximately three miles to Panther Branch Road and turn right. The landfill is on your right. The phone number for the landfill is (828) 250-5460.

What can I do about illegal dumping of garbage?

Discarding trash of any sort including garbage, junk and old appliances on both public and private property, streets and sidewalks is illegal. Illegal dumping also includes placing any trash at curbside for collection by the Town which was generated outside Town limits. If you witness illegal dumping, please report violators to the Town Manager Selena Coffey via email or call her at (828) 645-7116.

Town Council

How do I do find out when Town Council is meeting?

Weaverville Town Council meets regulary on the third Monday of each month at 6:00pm except for in January and February, when they meet on the fourth Monday. Council meetings are held at Town Hall, located at 30 South Main Street in Weaverville. Town Council workshops are held approximately every two months and special-called meetings are held on an as-needed basis. These meetings are publicized on the Town's website calendar, on its social media pages and in the local media, in accordance with state statutes.

Where can I view Town Council Agendas and Minutes?


Agendas and Minutes

If you cannot find what you are looking for, please contact our Deputy Town Clerk Grace Keith via e-mail at [email protected] or call Town Hall at (828) 645-7116.

How can I apply to join a Town Board or Committee?

The Weaverville Town Council appoints boards and committees to help guide decision-making in Weaverville and to hear and make decisions that require special procedures. The Town is always seeking citizens wishing to participate in local government through service on a board or committee. Most appointments are for three year terms and do not provide any compensation for services. You can find additional information about each board or committee and download the application by clicking this link:  Boards & Committees    

Planning & Zoning

When does the Planning Board meet?

The Town of Weaverville Planning and Zoning Board meets the first Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the Weaverville Town Hall at 30 South Main Street.

Who should I contact regarding building a home within Town limits?

Planner James Eller can provide you with the information you need if you are building within Town limits. You can contact him by calling (828) 645-7116 or by email at [email protected].

How do I view the Town’s Code of Ordinances?

You can view the Town's Code of Ordinances at the following link or click on the button below: The Code is updated electronically with every adoption or amendment that Town Council passes.